The June 27, 2011 Federal Register includes a notice from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in which the USPTO proposes fee increases for patent filings for fiscal year 2012. In most cases, the fee increases reflect a 2.3 % increase. For example:
- Filing fees for new utility patent applications will be$340 (a $10 increase).
- The patent examination fees for utility patents and design patents will be $115 and $70, respectively (an increase of $10 each).
- Filing fees for new provisional patent and design patent applications will be $230 (a $10 increase).
- Extension of time fees beyond the first month will each increase by $10.
- The fees for filing a Notice of Appeal and Appeal Brief will increase by $10, while the fee for requesting an oral hearing during an appeal will increase by $20.
The USPTO is accepting public comments on the fee increases through July 27, 2011. If made final, the fee increases will take effect when the USPTO’s next fiscal year starts on October 1, 2011.