Today (September 7, 2007) the U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 1908, the Patent Reform Act of 2007. The House version includes:
- a switch to the “first to file” system for determination of patentability;
- a section that permits assignees (rather than inventors) to file on behalf of the inventor;
- limitations on damages in patent infringement cases;
- a new “post-grant review” proceeding; and
- limitations on venue in patent infringement cases.
The Senate counterpart to the House bill is currently awaiting the scheduling of a vote.